Karl Khoshnaw
Sam Kantimathi
2006-09-08 11:03:24 UTC
Many of us have met and played Dr. Karl Khoshnaw, who represented
Iraq/Kurdistan in the past few Worlds. I am saddened to report that
he has passed away after an illness. He leaves behind his wife Antje
and a toddler son Vali in Germany.

He beat me rather soundly when we played in England a few years back.
My fondest memory is of Karl toasting a Guinness _beer_ with me in
Kuala Lumpur WSC03 to celebrate our inclusion in the Guinness Book of
World Records for high scores. Karl scored 392 in a turn with CAZIQUES.

http://samtimer.com/malaysia-2003/SamsWSCMalaysiaPictures/4/SamsWSCMalaysiaPicturesAlb/mayorbkp014.html

http://www.wscgames.com/2005/build/player/1/054.html

Karl also conducted International tournaments in Germany.

Sam Kantimathi

USA

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:sowpods-digest-***@public.gmane.org
mailto:sowpods-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Stewart Holden
2006-09-08 11:39:02 UTC
I am saddened to hear of Karl Khoshnaw's sudden death. British
Scrabble seems to be experiencing its 'annus horribilis'.

Karl has the 'claim to fame' of being the only known contestant to
appear on Countdown twice despite having lost the first game. He
entered once in the very first series (1982) under his real name of
Saladin Kal Khoshnaw. A few years later he spoke to producers asking
whether anyone was allow a second attempt; they usually say no but
Karl told me was allowed back in 1987 because producer Michael Wylie
had said they desperately needed more contestants from ethnic
minorities! Hence the highly questionable 'Karl Kurdistan' listed in
series 12 a few years later; he promptly lost his first game...

Back in the summer of 2002 I was a student spending a 'year out' in
Brussels. I travelled down to Germany to stay with Karl and Antje to
stay for a few days (no baby Valentine back then!), while Gareth
Williams came over to play Karl in a BEST match. We commented at the
time that it was possibly the most internationally-themed match ever -
an Englishman living in Belgium adjudicating a Welshman and
Kurdistan-Iraqi playing in Germany.

Karl was an off-the-wall character at times but always charming and
friendly. Although he was a little weary of his fame for CAZIQUES
after 25 years of reading about it everywhere, it will be one of many
things which ensures Karl is not forgotten.

My condolences to Antje and the family.

Stewart

--
www.tilefish.co.uk

mailto:uk-scrabble-digest-***@public.gmane.org
mailto:uk-scrabble-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Karen Richards
2006-09-08 22:00:02 UTC
How terribly sad - such a young and intelligent person. I recall the 2003
WSC, where he took a special interest in Alastair (aged 11). He was looking
forward so much to the birth of his first child, and probably planning for
the day when his child was Alastair's age, and could travel the world with
him playing Scrabble! For years I have noted the great tournaments he held
in Germany, and vowed to eventually play there - too late now.

Could someone please pass on to his widow my appreciation of his encouraging
Alastair, and my sadness that his own child will not have the advantage of
his guidance and support.

Karen

chinedu okwelogu
2006-09-09 14:28:42 UTC
I wonder how someone who set a world Scrabble record
in 1982 could be described as 'such a young and
intelligent person' in 2006.
Karl was either a teenage prodigy in 1982 or his
describer has seen many decades altogether.
Anyhow, while 100% of humanity studies history, less
than 10% make history.

Karl belonged to that select less-than-10%; only time
will tell how many of the rest of us shall unfetter
ourselves from the colourless 90.

Karl, say 'hi' to Pete Finley formerly of the UK, and
Duro Iroja, Moshood Qadri and Rotimi Ewuola formerly
of Nigeria, as well as all other departed Scrabble
brethren formerly of other 'nationalities'.

One day, when Creation is further demystified, we
shall all play stellar and intergalactic Scrabble.

Sidespin.

Graeme Thomas
2006-09-09 14:41:34 UTC
Post by chinedu okwelogu
I wonder how someone who set a world Scrabble record
in 1982 could be described as 'such a young and
intelligent person' in 2006.
Karl was either a teenage prodigy in 1982 or his
describer has seen many decades altogether.
Anyhow, while 100% of humanity studies history, less
than 10% make history.
I am extremely bad at estimating people's ages, but I think that Karl
was in his fifties. That's not particularly young, I grant you, but
it's a very young for someone to die.
Post by chinedu okwelogu
One day, when Creation is further demystified, we
shall all play stellar and intergalactic Scrabble.
Well said.
--
Graeme Thomas